Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Wednesday 26 August 2015

Step Back in Time

One year ago I took this photograph out at Cranberry Flats.  Well, truth be told, I took nearly one hundred images!  It was a really good time of year for finding treasures.  I really loved the sweetness, curiousity, and closeness of this one.



The night before the my first annual Open Studio last October, I stitched out this one.  It's small at 3x5 inches... but it seemed the perfect size for the way I felt about that moment.  It's all free machine stitched with the exception of the French Knots.


This summer, I thought how nice it would to hand stitch a larger version.  So I started.  I picked a different crop of the same footpath at a closer view to make it more intimate.  (Isn't it pretty!?)  And after many days, I thought loudly to myself, 'WHAT WAS I THINKING!?' That is a lot of stitching.  I worked and I worked and contemplated how ridiculous this is if it doesn't work out.



But - you know me.  I finished it 'enough' in time to photograph for the grant project.

I'm not done.  I'm going to take out some of the long grasses and redo them with a lighter, brighter colour. It will add a little more curve to the path too.  My favourite part of my photo is the long whispy grasses that are hanging over the path.  The colours are off but I did what I could with what I had.  Other than that, I think it has the feel I wanted.  I suppose I should introduce this as a work in progress.


This is about 8 inches by 11 inches.  My favourite part of it is the sage clumps that are buried in the grasses.  They are clusters of French Knots.  Can you pick them out?  there's a lot of layering in this piece.  One more day and I should be done.  I'm looking forward to getting all my hand work framed before the month is over.

There you have it.  Next on my plate is 2 commissions that have been patiently waiting.  The first is a threadpainting of our nearby Pike Lake, a place full of fond memories for one woman and her family.  The second is a smaller threadpainting of prairies at sunrise.

There you have it!  Enjoy the rest of summer!


linking to WIP Wednesday at TN&TN

3 comments:

Jo Ferguson said...

I never get tired of looking at your work!

Linda Steele said...

I love how you did the path, I can feel the crunch

Lin said...

Gorgeous gorgeous. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *