Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Tuesday 25 November 2014

The Inside Scoop

I'm working on the last big commission right now, which is so relieving!  I am putting together a lot of little things for the Saturday Christmas Sale at Creative House as well.  I am feeling pretty productive this week.  It's the horrible icy roads!  I'm stuck until the winter tires get put on.


I've been finishing the hand work with heavier sewing threads.  These are 12 weights.  Aurifil makes them.  Wonderfil does also.  Regular sewing thread is 30 to 50 weight.  These are much fatter and work well in place of 2 strands of DMC floss.  They come on tangle-free spools/  Pictured above are the Wonderfil variegated 12 weight cottons.

I love to use sharp embroidery scissors with a CURVE only.  I can clip nice and close to my work.  Anytime I use straight embroidery snips, I poke or accidentally snip surrounding work & threads.  I don't want that!  So curved it is.  The above snips are Singer brand, but cuticle scissors do the same fine job.


So the floor stand...  lots of you ask about it.  I bought this stand at Michaels.  I think it was under $30.  It's made by Frank A. Edmunds Co.  It comes in a little pink box, and you put it all together on your own.   It's full of adjustable joints, so it will nicely hold your work for you whether you are on the floor, sitting back on the sofa, or up in your favourite sewing chair.  I love it.  It's likely made for holding framed or hoops, but this works for me.  My embroideries are heavily stabilized and since they are square, I find it odd to use a hoop.  Plus - hands free embroidery means much easier knotwork.  Incidentally, I put the screw posts upside down on purpose.  When I stitch, my threads were getting caught on them as they are sooo long (see them poking up?).  This way, they make great threadspool holders also.

'Universal Craft Stand' - image from online catalogue

The other question - 'isn't is painful to stitch through such touch fabrics?'  Yes - if you are using the wrong needle.  With a sharp needle of the right size, it's not a big deal.  With the wrong needle, it's a nightmare.

Okay - back to stitching.  Talk soon!  : )


4 comments:

Lin said...

Yummy threads which I am going to be following up. Also that floor stand looks like a great boon. xx

In stitches and seams said...

your posts are always inspiring to me and that thread looks like fun to stitch with .
have a great day
in stitches

HollyM said...

Great hint about the cuticle scissors! Also, nice to know that Superior has the heavier thread.

Judy Hartman said...

So great to see how you work, Monika! Love the way you make the stand work for you (upside down screws!). Love your work - so beautiful and textural!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *