Welcome

THIS JUST IN!
* * * The MacKenzie Art Gallery, Regina SK & the SK Craft Council Boutique, Saskatoon carry my work.
* * * Prairies juried fibre exhibition Oct 2 - Nov 28 @ DOW Centennial Centre Fort Saskatchewan, AB
* * * Young at Art - Visiting Artist Sessions for 5-10yr olds Saturday Nov 15th @ the Children's Discovery Museum in Saskatoon. sign up via Picatic (linked)

Enter your email to get posts directly to your inbox. Thank you for following!

Friday, May 16, 2014

Friday Finishes - Gathering

Good morning.  I have new work to show you.  I'm not sure what it's called.  Yarn paintings?  I spent much of May stitching coloured yarns with a giant needle for the 'Heart to Hand' show at Handmade House next month.


The subtitle of the show is 'glimpses of prairie'.  I will still have some prairie vista threadpaintings, but I am excited to display my new work as well.  It's kind of embroidery... looks a little like felting and works like an oil painting with each stitch looking like a brushstroke loaded with colour.

Gathering in progress

This is a big piece in the style of Where Sunlight Falls (in Edmonton) and will be framed BIG liek that - 12x22".  To put a huge horizontal image on my blog will always look teenytiny, but here it is nonetheless.  I finished it up yesterday morning. 


All I can say is that I want to do more like this!  It's big - the work is 14 inches across.  Next I think I'll try something with a sky.  Chunky yarns might look terrific as clouds and such.  I'll have to go shopping first.  I really don't own a lot of blue.

Have a great day!


8 comments:

Molly said...

lovely, my dear! reminiscent of crewelwork, but not identical...you may have 'unvented' something! let me know what you are looking for in the way of yarn - i might just have a little bit on hand! hee hee!
cheers!
molly

Lin said...

It's gorgeous Monika, and very definitely embroidery. xx

JQ said...

So beautiful! :)

Vicki W said...

Spectacular!

Margaret said...

I would call it embroidery, and it is beautiful. I'm beginning to think you are a Canadian Jan Beaney...

Giddings Art said...

Beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Monika, your evolvement is amazing!
You are an Artist with a capital A.
Joyce

CitricSugar said...

Oooo-ooooh.... Now that's interesting... It's a bit like needlepoint graffiti. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *