Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Saturday 17 September 2011

- - - Saturday Stitches - - - #2

Hi!  Welcome to Saturday Stitches where I post new needlework stitches that I'm teaching myself through books and such.  Last Saturday's post presented basic running stitches and variations of it including interlaced running stitch, double running stitch, and whipped running stitch.  Did you know there were that many!?  I didn't.  You can see that post hereToday I'll show you some more!  You can grab this button for a quick link back every Saturday if you like.  It links to all posts with that label.

If you blog, you can copy and paste the photo and then copy and paste this url to link

Here's what I tried this week: Back Stitches, Stem Stitches, and French Knots with variations.


It looks a lot like the double running stitch, except you are using one thread color continuously.  It's kind of like stitching backwards.  Reminds me of the moonwalk from the 80's!  : )  The next photo shows the Stem Stitch which is worked in the same back-stitch fashion.


That Double Threaded Backstitch above was done by lacing a threaded needle back and forth with white (up down up down), and then doing it again with purple thread (down up down up).  This is threaded through the existing stitches, and not at all through the fabric, except at the very beginning and very end.  Makes sense?  I love these threaded textured lines.  Use your needle eye-first when lacing this so you don't get stuck piercing the fabric.

Okay now - French Knots.  I love them.  I use them all the time.  Sometimes I find instruction to wrap three times, and sometimes to wrap twice.  ?  Can anyone clarify this?

bring the needle up, wrap a few times

and then back down near where you started

Easy.  I thought I would try something different and bring the needle down away from where I started.  I can't find it in a book, but I doubt it's never been done.  You can make some pretty starbursts this way.  It reminds me of connect-the-dots or constellations!  ; )  I've used them as flower stamens.


I'm off to teach at Bernie's tomorrow, so I'll be skipping Sunday Snapshots.  Take a look at this!  I'm the Guest Artist at 3CreativeStudios' blog.

have a great weekend!!
~Monika






7 comments:

Ellie said...

Great stitches once again. When I was at school at loooong time ago I did art - which I wasn't very good at. So for my exam I did embroidery and one of the stitches I remember being taught was french knots. So I know this one. :) Oh and I passed that exam as well lol

Margaret said...

I've been meaning to congratulate you on being 3CS guest artist this month. Well done!

Sharon said...

I grabbed your button. I love the variations on the basic stitches. So beautiful! As for the french knot, I use anywhere between 1 & 3 wraps. It just depends on how large (or small) of a knot I want. I made a redwork turkey the other day (using 3 strands DMC), I used 2 wraps for his eye & just one for his nostril.

What kind of thread do you use? Did I miss that? It looks like it would sew so well. :)

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Thanks! : )

In the photo I have crochet cotton. In my art, I'll use fine rayon or mix cotton sewing threads to get the right colors. Sometimes I use 2 strands of floss... all depends. ; )

: )
~Monika

Vicki Miller said...

I love your stitching blogs. Isn't a french knot where you put the needle down away from the beginning a bullion stitch? More wraps, but basically I think that's it. Also, I think the number of wraps is dependent upon the thread and the effect you want. There is no rule.

Christie describeHappy said...

I realize I follow a blog that is also doing embroidery stitching stuffs and thought you might want to see it... http://www.cloverandviolet.com/p/embroidery-101.html Happy stitching!

Gabriel said...

Locate the battery cables inside the cart's battery compartment. Raggedy Ann: them induction this approach year became following a full year with campaigning using people. LR55 Tune Unit Detailed information

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *